Monday, February 22, 2010

Ingabire seeks refuge

Today, 22 February 2010, Victoire Ingabire Umuhoza, Presidential aspirant and head of the opposition UDF, sought refuge at the UK Embassy in Kigali. There is very little information on why she sought refuge and what was discussed with members of the UK Embassy, although this press release was made available earlier today.

I am very keen to see how the ruling RPF reacts to Mme. Ingabire's statement that she will invoke her constitutional right to silence....



PRESS RELEASE

Kigali 22 February 2010

I am home and safe.

This morning my political organisation, FDU-UDF INKINGI informed the national and
international community about my request for a temporary refuge. It's true I was for
many hours today inside the British High Commission in Kigali. We discussed the
current political situation in Rwanda and threats to opposition leaders and I still
expect that all the stakeholders will do the utmost for a peaceful democratisation
of Rwanda.

However, the police harassment is still on the agenda because the CID persistently
summoned for fresh questioning this evening. I like to make it public, that from now
on during this night and all next police interrogations; I will, if necessary, use
my constitutional right to silence until my case is taken to a court of law.

Mrs. Victoire Ingabire Umuhoza
Chair, UDF INKINGI.

No comments:

Post a Comment